Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dazed.... and confused.

So i just finished my 93rd viewing of Richard Linklater's 1993 high school comedy Dazed and Confused, and it's as good as ever. You would imagine that after seeing a film 93 times, you would get bored incredibly easily, but that's the beauty of this film - it's never boring, even after an endless amount of viewings.

The film starts off with the Gramercy International logo and from the very first beat of the bassline to Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion", the viewer is hooked. The soundtrack is the foundation for this film, which follows a group of seniors on their last day of high school and a group of freshmen on their last day of junior high. What follows is basically.... LETS PARTY!

The ensemble is just perfect. From Jason London to Parker Posey. If you watch closely you'll see a young Ben Affleck playing a paddle-wielding senior and a young Matthew McConaughey as the suave and cool older guy who still hangs around with his high school buddies long after he's left the school itself.

The 1970s gives the perfect backdrop for the film and no one could've directed the film better than Richard Linklater, most famous for School of Rock, Before Sunset/Sunrise, A Scanner Darkly and the more recent Fast Food Nation. Linklater manages to bring the pre-prubescent cast together perfectly making the viewer feel like they are actually in the 1970s watching these actors live out their lives as they would. Saying that, it's quite obviously a film. Haha.

I think the main reason I love the film is because of how much I can relate to each and every character. The stoner, Slater, the pot dealer, Pickford, the freshman, Mitch, the senior caught between two groups of friends, Pink. The relatability comes from the fact that I know people like them or that I can see some of my own personality in them. Nowadays, it's hard to find films like this, but I have and I'll never let go of my passion for it.


Dazed and Confused (Richard Linklater, 1993)
99/100.

It remains in my top ten of all-time.
Awesomeness, defined.

4 comments:

  1. *Parker Posey
    not Posey Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it was fun, hell of an experience, there were things about it that I loved...but I never really got the big deal, but then I only watched it once, so maybe that isn't enough. Here's to the next 92 times :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah! I don't expect anyone to love it half as much as I do, anything above 8/10 is worthy enough for me! :)

    It's the people who don't like it, that get me going! >:@

    ReplyDelete